Elbow, Hand & Wrist Treatment
We recognise upper limb injury can be debilitating. We rely on our arms and hands for almost everything in our day-to-day lives. Upper limb injuries can impact on work, personal, social activities and sport. You may find it difficult brushing teeth, dressing, eating and preparing food, and lifting and carrying.
Pain, tingling or numbness around your elbow, wrist or hand can often be a sign of overuse. These symptoms can be caused by a range of issues, but are commonly associated with overloading tendons, muscles, and sometimes neural or nerve structures.
Overloading can occur in sports and through biomechanical issues, but it frequently presents as an issue for office or factory workers. Repetitive actions – performed day in, day out – can have an accumulative, damaging effect over the long term.
Do you need treatment?Book now
Elbow, wrist and hand pain can begin for several reasons. This can be following a trauma, such as a fall or bike accident, or atraumatic which may be an overuse or repetitive strain injury. Sustained awkward postures can be factors in atraumatic injuries, which may require an ergonomic assessment to identify and resolve the cause behind your injury.
Surgery can at times be required for elbow, wrist and hand injuries and the team at Pure Physio can help you prepare for surgery (pre-op rehabilitation) and recover afterwards (post-op rehabilitation).
As part of elbow, hand and wrist injuries, you may experience:
- Ongoing swelling or stiffness.
- Significant pain in or around the hand, arm, or elbow.
- Reduced range of motion and flexibility.
- Pain with gripping, lifting or carrying.
- Reduced grip strength.
- Pins and needles.
- Grinding, clicking or crackling sounds associated with the movements of the elbow, wrist or hand.
- Pain with weight bearing activities such as pressing up through your hands.
- Numbness or loss of sensation your hand, arm or elbow.
The first step of your treatment involves a thorough assessment of your presentation. This allows our physiotherapists to determine the cause or source of the issue. After this, you will receive a tailored treatment plan to help you achieve recovery.
This plan will include a combination of manual, hands on treatment and rehabilitation exercises to help reduce your pain, regain movement, and build strength. Our physiotherapists will also provide you with practical tips on how to improve your work environment set-up to avoid the pain from returning.
Pure Physio’s one hour initial consultations enable our physiotherapists to understand the activities and interests that keep you happy and provide balance to your life. You will receive targeted and tailored exercise programs to guide you back to your normal, healthy, and pain-free, self.
Some common conditions affecting the elbow, arm and hand we treat in clinic include:
- Tennis Elbow (pain on the outside of the elbow).
- Golfer’s Elbow (pain on the inside of the elbow).
- Post-surgical rehabilitation.
- Post-fracture rehabilitation.
- Post-dislocation rehabilitation.
- Acute sprains and strains.
- Postural problems.
- Repetitive strain injuries.
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD).
- Referred pain from the neck.
- De Quervains tenosynovitis.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Trigger finger.
- Dupuytren’s contracture.
The earlier we can diagnose your condition and begin treatment, the sooner you can return to your normal healthy self. If left untreated, your symptoms may progress, causing further lifestyle restrictions and a longer recovery period. Speak with our experienced team if any of these symptoms sound familiar to the pain you are experiencing.
Get in touch to book an appointment now.Book now