Call us on: (03) 9975 4133
Once again the F45, 8 Week Challenge is off and running! First week in and hopefully you have managed to complete a few sessions and stuck to your meal plan.
With any workout regime, it’s important to take care of yourself. There are several things you can do to help avoid injury during the 8 week challenge. Check out the tips below:
- Start slow! With any free exercise program, keep the exercises and movements simple to start with, then add the plyometric (jumping) component. This is especially important if you are new to F45.
- Make sure that you are asking for assistance if you are completing exercises that you are unaccustomed too. Remember the trainers are there to help and guide you through new exercise techniques. Start with light weights and slower progress as you get more comfortable with the movements.
- Good quality cushioned footwear is a must. HIIT exercises can quickly wear shoes. These exercises require supportive cushioning to help absorb the shock during these exercises and the impact on your joints.
- If you have had previous high impact injuries, for example Achilles tendon problems, stress fractures or shin splints, take care with plyometric (jumping) exercises. You might need to modify these exercises to a static exercise, for example tuck jumps to static squats or jump lunge to lunges. This will reduce the high load on your joints while still maintaining your heart rate.
- Don’t forget to allow your body to recover! Stretching and foam rolling can assist with this. As F45 is a full body workout, muscles will tighten up! Some of the biggest culprits that don’t get stretched often enough are:
- Pecs (chest)
- Hip Flexors
- Stay hydrated. It’s important even in Melbourne through the colder months to stay hydrated. Continually sip on water throughout the day, at your desk or throughout meetings. You should be aiming for 2-3 litres per day.
- Last tip is to get adequate rest. Make sure your getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night and longer if you need it, to let your body recovery post exercise. Remember to have a rest day in training as well. Most likely this is a Sunday, where you can rest, relax and prepare for the upcoming week ahead.
Myself and the team at Pure Physio are here to help, so if you’re interested in F45 sessions but are unsure where to start or if its appropriate, get in contact. Our aim is to enable all individuals achieve their fitness goals. Enjoy the 8 week challenge!